My Catchphrases

Thursday 4 March 2010

Review: Wake by Lisa McMann




Synopsis from Amazon:
For seventeen-year-old Janie, getting sucked into other people's dreams at any given moment is getting tired. Especially the falling dreams, and the standing-in-front-of-the-class-naked ones. But then there are the nightmares, the ones that chill her to the bone...like the one where she is in a strange house...in a dirty kitchen...and a sinister monster that edges ever closer. This is the nightmare that she keeps falling into, the one where, for the first time, Janie is more than a witness to someone else's twisted psyche. She is a participant...





Review:
I was very intrigued by this synopsis. A quick read I was able to finish it in one sitting. It is one of those books that compels you to keep turning the pages.
Although it is written in the 3rd person it really did feel as more like 1st person narrative in the way in which it draws you in.
The story deals with a whole host of sensitive issues applicable to all such as sexuality, self-image and friendship. Sometimes there was just a bit too much going on to real get to grips with the main storyline.
The main problem I had was that I was unable to picture the main female character in my imagination (not a thing a normally have a problem with) I finally worked out why this was, it was because I just could not relate to her very much. On the other hand I had no problem conjuring pictures of the male protagonist, Cabel (hot!).
I realised after much deliberation why this book did not take me in completely: The protagonists are very much in touch with their feelings, something I still do not think I have achieved even at my age. Plus there is a great deal of time spent where one or another of the characters is crying.
I really enjoyed the dream analysis given within the story, this added extra credibility to the plot, it was well written and extremely interesting.
Although I had problems relating to the central female character, I did think that this was an excellent debut novel that can be developed and expanded further. I feel almost compelled to read the sequels. This book is one of those that lingers in your mind and enters your dreams!

1 comment:

  1. Well, you know how much I loved this one. Cannot wait for the sequels.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva