My Catchphrases

Wednesday 11 January 2012

Review: Darkness Falls by Cate Tiernan

Title: Darkness Falls
Series: Immortal Beloved
Author: Cate Tiernan
Publisher: Hodder and Stoughton
Publication Date: 5 Jan 2012

Synopsis from Goodreads

Nastasya has lived for hundreds of years, but for some reason, life never seems to get any better. She left her spoiled, rich girl life to find peace at River's Edge, a safe haven for wayward immortals. There, she learned to embrace River's Edge, despite some drama involving the sexy Reyn, who she wants but won't allow herself to have. But just as she's getting comfortable, her family's ties to dark magick force her to leave.

She falls back into her old, hard partying ways, but will her decision lead her into the hands of a dark immortal? Or will it be her first step to embracing the darkness within her?

REVIEW 

Please bear in mind that this is Book 2 in the series and may therefore contain spoilers for book 1.

I had forgotten how much I loved Nastasya’s narrative voice, her snarkiness and sarcasm where like a breath of fresh air. The way in which she directly addresses the reader (me) really made me feel part of the events. Her inner monologues highlighted the range of emotions she underwent due to her circumstances and past history. The vivid detail with which her memories are revealed to both Nasty and me as the reader at the same time enables complete empathy with her.

I have to admit I was really hoping that she would have gone back to her original name, Lilja, in this book rather than sticking with Nastasya, as I completely HATE that name. However, I feel the point to the continued use of Nasty is that it reflects her inner fear that she is Dark.

Further revelations from a number of the characters show that the most important thing is CHOICE. It is how we choose to act that makes all the difference, our choices can be right or wrong, good or bad, dark or light, and that is what matters. Knowing the difference is half the battle. As a certain event with Innocencio proved brilliantly. See you are intrigued now aren’t you [ ; D ]

I loved Nasty’s character development throughout this book, I find her emotions very realistically portrayed. The constantly questioning decisions and actions is something I am sure we all do, coming to terms with who you are, who you were and who you want to be. I am desperately trying not to spill the beans on this one.

The story unfolded in such a way as to open up a HUGE new plot development, one I am very eager to see where it is going. I have the feeling there is going to be a MAJOR twist in the next book. Speaking of which PLEASE can I have it NOW.

I cannot go through this review without mentioning 2 things that made me drool.

Firstly, Reyn, how could I not mention this piece of Viking hotness. If possible I adored him more in this book than the first. I, for one, don’t care what he did in his past, he is just so so so adorable. There is a connection with Nasty that goes way beyond their shared history. For me it is as if they were destined for each other from the very start. There are a number of subtle incidents within the narrative that support this theory. Also the chemistry between Reyn and Nasty could set the page on fire.

Secondly, the shoes, OMGosh the description of Nasty’s shoes had me completely coveting them, I sat there wondering what size feet Nasty had and whether I would be able to borrow her shoes. I am also wondering if Cate Tiernan has a shoe collection that might fit me [:D ]

This really is a brilliant sequel to an amazing series. I cannot wait to see what happens next.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree, such a fab book, can't wait for book 3 :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva