My Catchphrases

Wednesday 21 April 2010

Review: Nearly Departed by Rook Hastings

Synopsis: Taken from Amazon
"I've seen a ghost," said Emily. "Well, not seen one exactly. Heard one. At least, I think I have!" Everything has a rational explanation. Unless it doesn't. Welcome to Weirdsville! Woodsville is not like other towns. Night falls a little earlier there, the shadows are darker and denser, and everyone knows it's a place where strange things happen. Even if they won't admit it. Bethan would prefer to be anywhere but here. Jay has his theories, but isn't ready to share. Hashim sees more than he'll say, while Kelly's demons are all too flesh and blood. But Emily's freak-out brings them out of denial and face to face with the supernatural. Anywhere else, Friday night would be date night. But not in Weirdsville!

Review:
I love the 'Welcome to Weirdsville' that is what drew me to this book in the first place. Who doesn't feel like they live in Weirdsville occasionally (OK it might just be me *grins*).
The book starts with a thoroughly unlikeable character, Carter, when he kicks a dog anger overtook me and I kept thinking that this character deserved anything bad that was going to happen to him.
The imagery used is tremendously powerful, it felt as if it was an assault on my senses so vivid were the pictures they conjured. In some parts it was so chilling I actually has cold shudders/goosebumps while reading it. I kept thinking to myself that it was a good job that I was not afraid of the dark or I would have been in big trouble :)

The language used is most definitely English as opposed to American English with the most noteable being the use of Flat as opposed to Apartment as I am sure it would be called in the U.S. J recently watched a movie about Northern Ireland, 50 Dead Men Walking, and I had images of that in my imagination with the description of the tower blocks and overall concrete jungle that they live in. As you already know I live in Wales, surrounded by lots of green fields and the coast a short drive away, so for me it is hard to relate to living in such a drab place but easy to picture thanks to TV. Wales is actually mentioned within the narrative, so you can imagine how pleased I was :)
The elements of gang warfare and domestic violence, although not to my taste, did seem necessary to the storyline, giving clarification to the reasons for some actions. There is an element of nature versus nurture running through the plot; contrasts are made between the main characters home lives defining their personalities and actions.

The tension is dramatic, I could even here the music they play in movies at the peak of the suspense within my imagination. My adrenaline pumped and my heart pounded. The idea of a modern Ghostbusters came to mind. Artful plot teasers placed throughout the narrative. I could sense the twist, but as I have stated before I am good at that.
Ingenious cross-over of science fiction with science fact, the use of quantum physics, chaos and string theories really added depth to the plot. You can thank J for me knowing even a little bit about quantum physics, it is his pet science :) 


The ideology of a society without social structure is explored, the utopia of everyone being equal and therefore socially acceptable to have everyone as friends, brought to mind the movie Bratz which also dealt with this issue.



There is an AWESOME cliffhanger. OH NO, I just realised that I am now hooked on another series. Guess there are worse things to be hooked on :)

An amazing urban fantasy, not for those afraid of the dark.


The BookDepository

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva