My Catchphrases

Wednesday 14 April 2010

Review: The Splendour Falls by Rosemary Clement-Moore

Synopsis:
Sylvie Davies is a ballerina who can't dance. A broken leg ended her career, but what broke her heart was her father's death, and what's breaking her spirit is her mother's remarriage. Still reeling Sylvie is shipped off to stay with relatives in the back of beyond. Or so she thinks, in fact she ends up in a town rich with her family's history ...and as it turns out her family has a lot more history than Sylvie ever knew. More unnerving, though, are the two guys she can't stop thinking about. Shawn Maddox, the resident golden boy, is the expected choice. But handsome and mysterious Rhys has a hold on her that she doesn't quite understand. Then Sylvie starts seeing things - a girl by the lake and a man with dark unseeing eyes peering in through the window ...Sylvie's lost nearly everything - is she starting to lose her mind as well?
Review:
Before I start my in depth review I have to tell you that I am completely biased where this book is concerned; 1. It has a hot welsh male protagonist 2. It weaves welsh mythology beautifully into the storyline. 3. I am a Davies!!! OK I have warned you!
Written in first person narrative (as much as I adore 1st person narrative I never seem to picture myself as the protagonist) with adorable use of vocabulary 'snafu' is such a cute word.
Lovely music and dance imagery created real brought it to life within my imagination, such sensory descriptions make the story more 3 dimensional. Spine-tingling at times.
I am starting to think that I am on a flow of reading books that have drink related incidents within the storyline = drink is evil :)
Superb parallels given between plants/flowers and people both needing nourishment in order to flourish. The theme of nature having magical restorative properties brought to mind Wings by Aprilynne Pike.
The plot intertwined past and present to dramatic effect. The use of mythology added depth to the storyline. The Einstein's theory of relativity kept popping into my head...
For every action there is an equal an opposite reaction
This could be used as a warning within this book :) I love the idea of reincarnation and soul mates.
On the whole a great piece of escapism, so I am off to Cardiff to look for Rhys ;)

The BookDepository

1 comment:

  1. Ha, with all the Welshness! I like like books about dancing. Ballet in particular. There's something about ballet that just fills a hole in my heart that I didn't realise was there.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva