My Catchphrases

Tuesday 30 November 2010

Trailer Tuesday: World Aids Day


Thanks to Caroline at Portrait of a Woman she has put together a list of YA books that deal with this sensitive, tough and harrowing subject.

HIV/AIDS in Young Adult Literature - A Bibliography
So in preparation of tomorrows review day for some of the titles mentioned in the bibliography I thought I would run some of the trailers.

Synopsis: From GoodReads - A girl's struggle amid the African AIDS pandemic.
"As soon as I get back from the shabeen, I go next door to see Mrs. Tafa. I have to ask to use her phone to let our relatives know about Sara. I'm nervous. Mrs. Tafa would like to run the world. Since she can't run the world she's decided to run our neighborhood."
So speaks sixteen-year-old Chanda, an astonishingly perceptive girl living in the small city of Bonang, a fictional city in Southern Africa.
While Mrs. Tafa's hijinks are often amusing, the fact is that Chanda's world is profoundly difficult. When her youngest sister dies, the first hint of HIV/AIDS emerges.
In this sensitive, swiftly-paced story readers will find echoes of To Kill a Mockingbird as Chanda must confront undercurrents of shame and stigma. Not afraid to explore the horrific realities of AIDS, Chanda's Secrets also captures the enduring strength of loyalty, friendship and family ties. Above all, it is a story about the corrosive nature of secrets and the healing power of truth.
Through the artful style of acclaimed author Stratton, the determination and resilience Chanda embodies will live on in readers' minds
 



 Synopsis: From GoodReads - Unforgettable novel about a girl struggling with HIV







Plus I just had to include these movie trailers:


1 comment:

  1. Great idea to look up the book trailers, I like the fact you included the film trailers too :o) I've not seen Philadelphia for years but that film never fails to make me cry

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva