My Catchphrases

Friday 5 November 2010

The Vampire Diaries: The Return: Shadow Souls by LJ Smith

Title: The Return: Shadow Souls
Series: The Vampire Diaries
Author: LJ Smith
Publisher: Hodder Childrens Books
Publication Date: 6 May 2010

Source: Bought



Synopsis: From Amazon
Elena Gilbert is once again at the centre of magic and danger beyond her imagining. And once more, Stefan isn't there to help! Elena is forced to trust her life to Damon, the handsome but deadly vampire who wants Elena, body and soul. They must journey to the slums of the Dark Dimension, a world where vampires and demons roam free, but humans must live as slaves of their supernatural masters. Damon's brother, the brooding vampire Stefan whom Elena loves, is imprisoned here, and Elena can only free him by finding the two hidden halves of the key to his cell.
Meanwhile, the tension between Elena and Damon mounts until Elena is faced with a terrible decision: which brother does she really want to be with?

Review:
Firstly I just have to say that I was really put off by the spelling and grammatical errors, these made it a real struggle to get through the story.

I adored the other Vampire Diaries books but was a bit confounded with this one. I just felt underwhelmed by the storyline. The imagery was repetitive and the characterization differed so much from the characters previous interactions that it was dis-jarring. Elena, Stefan and Damon just seemed like completely different people to previous encounters. It was all a bit confusing.

I am a big fan of LJ Smith and have devoured her other novels, I really had high hopes for this one and was left feeling more than a little disappointed. Nothing tied together there were bits of the plot that were mentioned and then never taken any furtehr. Leaving the reader questioning what was happening.

I know that I am going to carry on reading the other Vampire Diaries books that come out I only hope they improve especially the spelling and grammar. I do not want to fall out of love with them.

5 comments:

  1. Really that is such a shame. There no excuse for her books to have grammar and spelling errors, surely the are checked? I love LJ Smith's work too but not read this one yet. I have read her work for over 15 years so this is dissapointing to hear but like you I will continue to read. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. The spelling and grammar were a complete deal breaker for me when it came to The Vampire Diaries - I don't understand how they got past an editor...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a shame the spelling/grammar spoiled your enjoyment of the book. I love The Vampire Diaries series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol who am I to talk about spelling mistakes when I spotted a few in my review after I posted it.
    Thanks for the comments I love getting comments, it makes my day :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have the first one of the these but have never got round to reading it - it has even been banished from the TBR shelves to my adultish book shelf in the library!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva