My Catchphrases

Friday 3 December 2010

Break-Ups Book Style #2


Synopsis: From Amazon
Meet the Radleys - Peter, Helen and their teenage children, Clara and Rowan, live in a typical suburban English town. They are an everyday family, averagely dysfunctional, averagely content. But, as their children have yet to find out, the Radleys have a devastating secret. In this moving, thrilling and extraordinary portrait of one unusual family, The Radleys asks what we grow into when we grow up, and explores what we gain - and lose - when we deny our appetites.

My thoughts: Just way to gory for me. I read a few chapters but my stomach was literally turning at some of the descriptions. Not for me.

Other opinions:

Synopsis: From Amazon
The trouble with being a vampire is...You can't get a decent haircut. You live on guinea-pig blood. And even worse, most of the world's population wants to kill you for no good reason. Nina Harrison became a vampire in 1973, when she was fifteen. Since then, life's been one big drag - mostly because she spends all her time with a bunch of vampires, in a vampire therapy group. Then one of them gets staked by an anonymous vampire slayer, and things become even worse: while tracking down the culprit, Nina and her fellow vampires end up in the middle of an illegal werewolf-fighting racket, and find themselves the target of some genuine villains who'll stop at nothing to get their werewolf back.


My thoughts: I just couldn't get into this one at all and abandoned it after the first couple of chapters. To be honest I don't think I gave it my best shot but as my TBR pile is so big I think forgiveness is in order for me with this one.

Other opinions:


Synopsis: From GoodReads
Stargirl. From the day she arrives at quiet Mica High in a burst of color and sound, the hallways hum with the murmur of “Stargirl, Stargirl.” She captures Leo Borlock’s heart with just one smile. She sparks a school-spirit revolution with just one cheer. The students of Mica High are enchanted. At first.

Then they turn on her. Stargirl is suddenly shunned for everything that makes her different, and Leo, panicked and desperate with love, urges her to become the very thing that can destroy her: normal. In this celebration of nonconformity, Newbery Medalist Jerry Spinelli weaves a tense, emotional tale about the perils of popularity and the thrill and inspiration of first love.


My thoughts: I honestly tried really hard with this book but I just could not relate to the characters at all. To me they seemed like charactertures of  the personalities they were portraying.

Other opinions:

5 comments:

  1. I liked The Radley's and The Reformed Vampire Support Group although that one was very slow to get in to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww. Some books aren't for everyone and like you said .. there are so many other books to get around to! I have The Radleys on my pile, hope I enjoy it more than you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to read The Radleys :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww! I love this kind of posts! I mean, I'm sorry you didn't like the books, but we always talk about books we love and never talk about the other ones we have issues getting into!
    I have read none of these books so i can't tell... but I would still be interested to read Star Girl, it looks just weird :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post! I've only read Stargirl of these three. I enjoyed it, but it's definitely an unusual book - it's more of a fairytale or an allegory and I don't think it aims to be realistic.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva