My Catchphrases

Monday 26 September 2011

MG Monday: Review: Prince of Dorkness by Tim Collins


Title: Prince of Dorkness
Series: Diary of a Wimpy Vampire #2
Author: Tim Collins
Publisher: Michael O'Mara Books Ltd
Publication Date: 19 May 2011

Synopsis: From Amazon

In his latest hilarious diary, Nigel starts the new term as one of the most popular pupils in school, and he's finally got a girlfriend after more than eighty years of being single. But his life soon unravels when a new pupil, Jason, joins the school, and has his sights set firmly on Nigel's girlfriend. Oh, and did we mention that Jason is a werewolf? Vampire and werewolf go head to head in the pursuit of love ...with hilarious consequences!


REVIEW:

Please bear in mind this is book 2 in the series and therefore may contain spoilers for the first book.

I will start by saying that someone needs to remind me never to let the big girl read a book before me again. She is physically unable to keep the plot to herself. Imagine if you will the most spoiler filled review you have ever read - well thats the big girl when she is enthusiastic about a book. Yes, I appreciate that it's a good thing for her to be enthusiastic about a book but not when she gives away LARGE clues as to the direction of the plot *sigh*

I surprised myself with how much I had missed Nigel's snarky/patronising narrative voice. The way in which he seems himself as above mere mortals, the title really does suit him Prince of Dorkness. Whenever I think of Nigel I just can't help thinking of Adrian Mole, I guess that is because it's from my generation but he definitely has the same kind of emo tone as Nigel. It feelt as if Nigel's voice was reverbarating from the pages. So full of self-deprecating humour had me gigling out loud especially when Nigel doesn't realize he is being self-depreciating. Subtle recapping placed within the narrative helps refresh the memory of the intracacies of the plot/relationships.

I am not going to go into detail about the plot except to say that it pokes fun at the paranoraml craze in a tongue-in-cheek fashion. It is a fun, light, fast-paced read that will have you giggling out load, groaning at the puns and awful poetry, sympathising with the teenage angst yet in the end side with Nigel as his heart is in the right place.

The only thing that I didn't really like and have to mention is that there are quite a lot of footnotes used within this book and I did feel that they interrupted the flow of the story.

A grat addition to this series and with such a tantalizing ending I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of Diary of a Wimpy Vampire.


2 comments:

  1. One of my girls is reading the first one of these in the series at the moment and loves it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed this when I read it. Loved the first one too x

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva