My Catchphrases

Thursday 2 February 2012

Guest Review: Book Break-Ups: David by Mary Hoffman


Title: David
Author: Mary Hoffman
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: 4 July 2012

Synopsis from Goodreads

Michelangelo's statue, David, is famous around the world. Millions flock to Italy every year to admire the physical perfection of the young man captured within the marble. But the identity of the model has never been known . . . until now.

In this epic tale, acclaimed author Mary Hoffman imagines the story of Gabriele, a naive but incredibly handsome young man who is hired as Michelangelo's model, only to find himself drawn into a world of spies, political treachery, and murder. Set against the vibrant backdrop of Florence in its most turbulent times, this rich, colorful, thrilling tale gives life to one of the world's greatest masterpieces.

GUEST REVIEW BY SHELLY OF MY FAVOURITE READS

“When Gabriele arrives in Florence and finds himself penniless and alone, he has only one trick up his sleeve..the name of a renowned sculptor and the hope of work. But never in his wildest dreams did he imagine that he would become the model for one of the world’s most famous statues, Michelangelo’s David. Or that he would be sucked into the deadly world of Florentine politics, where battle, bloodshed and murder are commonplace.”

I really thought from the blurb on the back of this book that I would really enjoy it as historical novels are really my thing and I have also seen the statue in Florence so was really intrigued to read a novel about it. I am sorry to say that the book just doesn’t live up to the hype! I found it really difficult to get to grips as to who all the characters were and to be honest after about half way through I find myself not really caring about them anyway. I found all the names very confusing and although I knew the book was based in Italy I couldn’t get to grips with them and they all seemed to blend into one. I also found that it was a story that wasn’t very well told as it didn’t draw me in and make me want to read more. I really wanted to know more about the relationship between Gabriele and Angelo but this was lost in the subplots about all the women in Gabriele’s life and his political friends.

All in all this was not a book for me and sadly I would not recommend it and I would have to think twice about picking up another Mary Hoffman novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva