My Catchphrases

Sunday 12 February 2012

Guest Review: Virals by Kathy Reichs


Title: Virals
Series: Virals #1
Author: Kathy Reichs
Publisher: Arrow
Publication Date: 27 Oct 2011

Synopsis from Goodreads

Tory Brennan, niece of acclaimed forensic anthropologist Temperance Brennan (of the Bones novels and hit TV show), is the leader of a ragtag band of teenage "sci-philes" who live on a secluded island off the coast of South Carolina. When the group rescues a dog caged for medical testing on a nearby island, they are exposed to an experimental strain of canine parvovirus that changes their lives forever.

As the friends discover their heightened senses and animal-quick reflexes, they must combine their scientific curiosity with their newfound physical gifts to solve a cold-case murder that has suddenly become very hot if they can stay alive long enough to catch the killer's scent.

Fortunately, they are now more than friends they're a pack. They areVirals.


GUEST REVIEW BY BETH OF THE PIECES OF ME

I may be one of the few people who read mainly adult fiction who has never read anything by Kathy Reichs. I’m not even sure who she is, I just know she writes mainly forensic-crime novels? Anyway, I saw this as a good thing because when I picked up Virals, I had no real preconceptions or expectations.

The story itself flows really well and the suspense in the novel is really well paced. I loved the twists and turns, especially as every time I thought it had reached a climax, another one came along.

The paranormal/fantastical edge was the only thing which didn’t sit totally well with me but that’s mainly because I’m not a huge fan of fantasy/paranormal fiction but it worked well in context and was key to the main action of the novel. The only other point I didn’t understand is why Reichs felt the need to have Tory distantly related to the protagonist in her adult novels. Tory is a strong enough character in her own right and I imagine, if you were a fan of Reichs’ adult work you may find this a bit odd.

Virals is clearly the first in a series and is left in a way which makes the reader want to read more. A fast paced, action packed start to a series which is bound to interest anybody who enjoys crime fic with an exciting paranormal twist.

3 comments:

  1. Great review. I'm quite intrigued by this one because I've read and loved loads of Reich's adult books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great review, it's look like a fab book, glad you enjoyed it so much.

    Jessica @ Booked Up!
    www.bookedupbloggers.blogspot.com

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued by this one but not entirely sure its one for me... I might give it a go at some point!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva