My Catchphrases

Friday 25 May 2012

Book Break-Ups: Falling Under by Gwen Hayes


Title: Falling Under
Series: Falling Under
Author: Gwen Hayes
Publisher: New American Library
Publication Date: Mar 2011
Source: Bought
Rating: 2/5

Synopsis from Goodreads

Theia Alderson has always led a sheltered life in the small California town of Serendipity Falls. But when a devastatingly handsome boy appears in the halls of her school, Theia knows she's seen Haden before- not around town, but in her dreams.

As the Haden of both the night and the day beckons her closer one moment and pushes her away the next, the only thing Theia knows for sure is that the incredible pull she feels towards him is stronger than her fear.

And when she discovers what Haden truly is, Theia's not sure if she wants to resist him, even if the cost is her soul.

REVIEW

I used this book as part of the Greek Mythology in YA presentation for library lessons thinking it was a re-telling of the Hades & Persephone story.
If you pick up this book for the same reason then my advice is DON'T it isn't remotely related to Greek Mythology not in the slightest. That isn't to say that it isn't an enjoyable read just not what I was expecting. 

The main aspect of the plot felt very reminiscent of The Replacement by Brenna Yovanoff (review HERE) with its dark, nightmarish imagery creating a Tim Burton-esque movie within the imagination. The plot does flow smoothly, even if there is a huge case of insta-love the main characters have a sizzling chemistry so I can forgive the insta-love angle. The writing is richly descriptive making up for the predictability of the plot, the succubus usage provided an interesting twist. 

The peripheral characters made all the difference in this book and really lifted the story as a whole. Varnie, the psychic was especially entertaining. The friendship between Gwen, Donny and Ame gave a solid foundation to the story although it did add to the annoyance that Gwen would drop everything in her obsession with Hayden.

I have to say I probably would have enjoyed the story more if I hadn't been under the misconception thaat it was based on Hades and Persephone. This is definitely one of those books that you have to try for yourself and don't make the mistake I did by thinking its basis is in Greek Mythology.

3 comments:

  1. daisychainbooks25 May 2012 at 16:51

    I've had this book on my shelf for quite a while and still haven't gotten around to reading it. I really didn't enjoy The Replacement, so now that  you've said this one has a similar feel I might leave it a bit longer! I do love the cover though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you on this on Emma. I didn't enjoy it all that much either. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, boo! what a bummer. Was really looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva