My Catchphrases

Friday 11 May 2012

Musical Moments: Guest Post: Mercy Series Soundtrack by Rebecca Lim


It is with great pleasure I welcome Rebecca Lim to Book Angel Booktopia today, you may have noticed my reviews this week [ ;D ], with the soundtrack to the Mercy Series it is very eclectic: Over to Rebecca:


When I was writing the books in the Mercy series (Mercy, Exile, Muse and Fury) I had a few songs on high rotation on my iPod, and even name check a few of the choral pieces in some of the books (for those readers who happen to be ex-choir nerds like me!).

The following list isn’t exhaustive, but listening to some of these worked like hanging a magic amulet around my neck when I needed to drop straight into the mood of the storyline:

Symphony No. 8 in E-flat major by Gustav Mahler has a starring role in the first book, Mercy, because it’s the reason Carmen Zappacosta (whose body Mercy is “inhabiting”) has been drawn to Paradise in the first place.

Standing Outside a Broken Phone Booth with Money in My Hand by the Primitive Radio Gods. Chris O’Connor and the band were kind enough to let me extract a portion of the lyrics at the start of Exile as a kind of “mood setter” for the book.


The Flower Duet (Sous le dôme épais) from Léo Delibes' opera Lakmé crops up in Mercy and in Muse as a kind of indicator of how far Mercy’s memory has returned between books 1 and 3.

If This is It by Newton Faulkner. Listen to the bit about “slings and stones and fire” and you’ll get why I loved listening to this.


Anything by the early music group Hesperion XX. Their stuff can instantly transport you to another time.

The Last Day on Earth by Kate Miller-Heidke, an Aussie singer-songwriter. An absolutely haunting song about lost love.


The album Science and Faith by The Script.



Walk On by U2, written about and dedicated to Aung San Suu Kyi.

The 16th century Corpus Christi Carol (author anonymous). Benjamin Britten as interpreted by Jeff Buckley. Spine-tingling.

Huge thanks to Rebecca for sharing. My favorites are If This Is It which I will be adding to my ipod this evening and I adore The Script, I chose that particular video because I think it goes fabulously with the ending of the series [ ; D ]

Mercy Review HERE                         Exile Review HERE
Muse Review HERE                           Fury Review HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva