My Catchphrases

Wednesday 20 April 2011

Review: Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance by Emily Franklin and Brendan Halpin


Title: Jenna and Jonah's Fauxmance
Author: Emily Franklin and Brendan Halpin
Publisher: Bloomsbury
Publication Date: 7 Mar 2011

Source: Publisher - thank you




Synopsis: From Amazon
Teen TV celebrities Jenna and Jonah (real names, Charlie Tracker and Fielding Withers) make more money in a month than most people do in a lifetime. They can't stand to be in the same room as each other, but to boost the TV ratings their agents make them a 'real life' couple. Then the deception is uncovered by the paparazzi, and Charlie and Fielding have to disappear to weather the media storm. It's not until they're far off the grid of the Hollywood circuit that they realise there's more to each of them than shiny hair and a winning smile.

Review:
Firstly it is easy to fall into the assumption that this is a girlie book due to its vivid pink cover, although I do think it is a predominately 'girl' read it holds appeal to males who might be put off by the pinkness of said cover.

As you might imagine with both a male and a female author partnership the story is told in first person narrative with chapters written from Jenna's point of view complimented by chapters in Jonahs perspective. I adored the different effect and tone of voice that each character had. Jenna has a more direct snarky narrative voice whereas Jonah has a softer, contemplative voice. Surprising if you go by male and female stereotyping. The direct address to the reader made me personally invested in the outcome of their relationship.

This is one of  those books that will draw you in, I actually devoured it in one sitting. I just couldn't let the story go until it had reached its conclusion. I felt as if the story were an emotional roller-coaster ride as I followed Jenna and Jonah get to know each other and themselves. Having to redefine their relationship after so many years of faking it, and without a script to guide them. Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees [ : D ]

The insight into celebrity life and the paparazzi was realistic and added to the feeling that Jenna and Jonah no longer knew who they really were, the sense of loss at their screen persona's being taken away. This was reinforced by the description of them only being known by their screen names and not their real names.

The use of Much Ado about Nothing and the parallels in personality and situations between the characters they play and their true self was genius. the realisations they both experience via this play was fantastic to follow.

This is one of those books that will make you laugh and cry along with the main characters in other words I loved it.

2 comments:

  1. I also really enjoyed this one - I expected it to be light and fluffy, and it was, but it also had a little more depth than I had thought it might. Lots of fun. I'm quite keen to read The Half Life of Planets written by the same author team. Great review, Em x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really excited now because I have this on my shelf already and it sounds fab!

    Much Ado About Nothing is probably my favourite Shakespeare play *ever*, so I'm thrilled about the possibility of a Beatrice and Benedick vibe between Jenna and Jonah. Yay!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva