My Catchphrases

Friday 23 March 2012

Guest Review: The Storyteller by Antonia Michaelis


Title: The Storyteller
Publisher: Amulet Books
Publication Date: 1 Jan 2012

Synopsis from Goodreads

Anna and Abel couldn’t be more different. They are both seventeen and in their last year of school, but while Anna lives in a nice old town house and comes from a well-to-do family, Abel, the school drug dealer, lives in a big, prisonlike tower block at the edge of town. Anna is afraid of him until she realizes that he is caring for his six-year-old sister on his own. Fascinated, Anna follows the two and listens as Abel tells little Micha the story of a tiny queen assailed by dark forces. It’s a beautiful fairy tale that Anna comes to see has a basis in reality. Abel is in real danger of losing Micha to their abusive father and to his own inability to make ends meet. Anna gradually falls in love with Abel, but when his “enemies” begin to turn up dead, she fears she has fallen for a murderer. Has she?


Ana has fallen for the ultimate bad boy, Abel, 'polish peddler' drug dealing total bad boy, but Anna sees a different side to Abel. The kind storyteller that looks after his little sister, Micha, it is this side that draws her to him. When the people from Abel's stories turn up dead Anna questions whether Abel is responsible.

The story revolves around the fairy-tale Abel is creating for his sister, Micha. When people from Abel's story turn up dead and Abel has been out on his own at night with no witnesses, no-one knows what is going on. 

Anna is my favorite character, she is so innocent and understanding, her kindness shines through the narrative, she is always there for Abel and Micha when they need her. 

My favorite part was when the three of them went ice-skating, showing a happy day in comparison to their usual dreary/unhappy existence. Although I disliked the scene in the boathouse because I thought it was cruel (no spoilers) it was a necessary element to the story as a whole. I would really have liked to have seen Abel enjoy himself more, especially with Anna.

This book was amazing and I highly recommend it.

3 comments:

  1. I recently read this book and thought it was amazing. It did get very dark at times. I agree with you that THAT scene was needed, but I did not like reading it at all. Fantastic review <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I will show Madison when I see her later.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to agree that this one is amazing! I couldn't put it down towards to end, its so heartbreakingly beautiful! 

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva