My Catchphrases

Wednesday 7 December 2011

Review: The Haunted by Jessica Verday

Title: The Haunted
Series: The Hollow #2
Author: Jessica Verday
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publication Date: 9 Aug 2011
Source: Own

Synopsis from Goodreads

An impossible truth. An impossible love.

After a summer spent reclaiming her sanity and trying to forget the boy she fell in love with—the boy who must not exist, cannot exist, because she knows that he is dead—Abbey returns to Sleepy Hollow, ready to leave the ghosts of her past behind.

She throws herself into her schoolwork, her perfume-making, and her friendship with Ben, her cute and funny lab partner, who just might be her ticket to getting over Caspian once and for all.

But Abbey can never get over Caspian, and Caspian has no choice but to return to her side, for Caspian is a Shade, and Abbey is his destiny.

They are tied not only to each other, but also to the town of Sleepy Hollow, and to the famous legend that binds their fates—a legend whose dark truths they are only beginning to guess....

REVIEW

This is the second book in The Hollow (review HERE) series so it may contain spoilers.

The book starts a few months after the end of The Hollow progressing the story smoothly. Abbey has really grown as a character; it was nice to see her more confident and sure of herself (rather than questioning her sanity, lol). I have to say I actually enjoyed this book more than the first largely due to the fantastic character development.

The chemistry between Abby and Kaspian felt like electricity flowing from the pages. The love triangle (that really wasn't) was very nicely done paving the way for added insight into the relationships and the interactions of peripheral characters. I have to admit that Vincent actually scared me, you could tell he was quite insane but it was 'stalker' realistically portrayed *scary stuff*.

I am still totally in love with the descriptions of the perfume making. I could literally smell the essential oils wafting from between the pages. I adored how Abby lost control of all her senses in the supply shop - it reminded me of the way I react in a book store lol.

You probably already know that I love the ideal of soul-mates and destiny. This book really pushes those boundaries - just how far would you go to be with your soul-mate' would you die.

As the mystery unravels more questions required answering but it all flowed together nicely. There was one part that went slightly off track but I am not sure if this was intentioned as there are a number of red herrings and misdirections thrown into the plot. Leading to assumptions and we all know what assume makes [ ; D ]

On the whole a good second book that enhanced and developed the story. I am glad I was able to move straight onto the this book courtesy of Viv at Serendipity Reviews.





2 comments:

  1. I tried to read the first book but I just couldn't get into it so I'm sorry today I didn't finish it. If I'm honest I'm not even sure what bugged me about the story but something did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm liking the sound of this one. x

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva