My Catchphrases

Saturday 28 August 2010

Saturday Spotlight: Musical Links

Photobucket

I have all these ideas floating about in my head that it really is a wonder I ever get anything done. So here is another of my ideas *drum roll*

I have just finished reading Lament & Ballad by the amazing Maggie Stiefvater. It occurred to me that music plays a huge part in most people lives and is reflected in the books we read. I, for one, generally read with my ear-buds firmly in place, blocking out the rest of the world and immersing myself in the fantasy world the book provides.

Most authors even provide play-lists on their blogs for fans to follow their creative process. Stephanie Meyer usual does a post on her website at the end of every Summer to share with fans the books she has been reading and the music she has been listening to.

Taking this a step further for me there are some songs that literally cry out to me to be linked to a book. The first one I would like to share - for me these to go together like bread & butter.

Synopsis: From Amazon
The story of Scarlett and Rosie March, two highly-skilled sisters who have been hunting Fenris (werewolves) – who prey on teen girls – since Scarlett lost her eye years ago while defending Rosie in an attack. Scarlett lives to destroy the Fenris, and she and Rosie lure them in with red cloaks (a colour the wolves can't resist), though Rosie hunts more out of debt to her sister than drive.

But things seem to be changing. The wolves are getting stronger and harder to fight, and there has been a rash of news reports about countless teenage girls being brutally murdered in the city. Scarlett and Rosie soon discover the truth: wolves are banding together in search of a Potential Fenris – a man tainted by the pack but not yet fully changed. Desperate to find the Potential to use him as bait for a massive werewolf extermination, the sisters move to the city with Silas, a young woodsman and long time family friend who is deadly with an axe. Meanwhile, Rosie finds herself drawn to Silas and the bond they share not only drives the sisters apart, but could destroy all they've worked for.

Read my review here. Linked to the fantastic Florence & The Machine: Dog Days


For anyone that has read the book - listen to the lyrics and you will get why I have linked the two in my head (not just because of the title).

I am off to coerce people into sharing their music/book links with me. I make great cake, cookies, muffins - if you can be bribed with baked goods.

UPDATE: chatting with the lovely Pewter Wolf on Twitter, he put this whole idea far more eloquently than I ever could and has the most fantastic post on his blog, click the link to check it out.
So go check it out and then come back to me with all your fabulous ideas, please.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for featuring me on your blog. So nice of you!

    I know this is weird, but has a picture/drawing/photograph triggered a memory for a book? Because this has happened to me. It's linked the book "The Hollow" by Jessica Verday and it was a random drawing I found on the Internet. The painting is called "Raven Hair" and it was painted by Michael Dashow.

    Again, thank you for featuring me on the blog! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you thinking about making this a weekly feature? I love the idea of putting music and books together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could help, but music isn't that important to me.. :( I wouldn't even know where to begin!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva