My Catchphrases

Tuesday 1 November 2011

Musical Moments: Song of the Month: November: Chosen by Savita Kalhan

Title: The Long Weekend
Author: Savita Kalhan
Publisher: Andersen
Publication Date: 2 Oct 2008

Synopsis from Goodreads

Sam knows that he and his friend Lloyd made a colossal mistake when they accepted the ride home. They have ended up in a dark mansion in the middle of nowhere with man who means to harm them. But Sam doesn't know how to get them out. They were trapped, then separated. Now they are alone. Will either of them get out alive? This gripping and hypnotic thriller will have you reading late into the night.

I am in the middle of reading this book and I have to be honest with you each time I pick it up my heart pounds. It is a parents worse nightmare, so I am being gentle with myself and reading it little by little so I don't get too traumatized. You know what a complete wimp I am, seriously I open the book and my heart jumps into my mouth. Now  I would say that is powerful writing wouldn't you. A very important topic and a book that will be going into a lot of recommendations in the school library. Something that should be brought to the attention of Young Adults who tend to live in their own little bubbles. 

Here is what Savita had to say about the song chosen for this month's Song of the Month: 


In The Long Weekend, the two main characters, Sam and Lloyd, are listening to music in the back of the flash car as they are being whizzed through the rain and the countryside towards what will turn out to be the most frightening, the most terrifying, weekend of their lives.
But they don’t know that yet.
They are listening to a band called BUSTED, who had by then recently split up, but the boys can still remember and sing all the lyrics. In this moment they are simply two eleven year olds feeling happy and care-free – it’s Friday night and all they’re looking forward to is getting back and playing on the X-box, messing about, having a laugh, hanging out. So they sing the lyrics to The Year 3000 at the top of their voices.
Then, very quickly, their lives change forever...

2 comments:

  1. This brings back the chill factor of the book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great choice of song Savita for a terrific and chilling novel. Can't recommend it highly enough.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva