My Catchphrases

Wednesday 23 November 2011

Review: The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater

Title: The Scorpio Races
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Publisher: Scholastic
Publication Date: 19 Oct 2011

Synopsis from Goodreads

It happens at the start of every November: the Scorpio Races. Riders attempt to keep hold of their water horses long enough to make it to the finish line.

Some riders live.
Others die.

At age nineteen, Sean Kendrick is the returning champion. He is a young man of few words, and if he has any fears, he keeps them buried deep, where no one else can see them.

Puck Connolly is different. She never meant to ride in the Scorpio Races. But fate hasn't given her much of a chance. So she enters the competition — the first girl ever to do so. She is in no way prepared for what is going to happen.

REVIEW

I have to be completely honest and tell you  this is my least favourite book by Maggie Stiefavater. I adore her writing style and it is no different with this book. Maggie's writing immerses you in the world she builds, enveloping all the senses and surrounding you completely. So if that is the case with this book too, then why, you ask, is it my least favourite. Well....those horses were flipping terrifying for a start, also the name of the horses was a constant source of annoyance for me. I had to keep checking the correct pronunciation, seriously I am that sort of person. I really, really wanted  to call them something a lot easier.

Written in first person narrative from alternating perspectives of Sean and Puck. The use of Puck as a name instantly conjures images of Shakespeare's Puck, why I don't know as this Puck is nothing at all like the Shakespearian Puck, but that is how my mind works, lol. The story builds slowly going into detail about their history and relationships. I did struggle with the pacing a bit with this one. It may have been that I was reading it at an exceptional busy time rather than it being a slow book. As soon as the relationship between Puck and Sean took off so did my reading pace, the relationship blossoms from mutual admiration and respect. What a great foundation to build a relationship on.

The imagery and general mythology brought Ireland to mind as the setting although it is never specified within the narrative. However, the story shows how bonds tie us not only to people but but places and animals. Very powerfully portrayed by Maggie's alluring writing.

The thing that really stood out for me with this story is the relationships and how they are portrayed. Love comes in a variety of forms all stunningly portrayed; the love of our families and the bonds that tie us together no matter where we are in the world. The love of a man and a woman, young and old, and how they rely on each other for support and comfort. The love of animals and how that love can be returned. The love of our home and country. I adored the way in which they were shown as the things that truly matter rather than material possessions.

So although it is my least favourite book of Maggie Stiefvater's it truly is a beautiful piece of writing.

7 comments:

  1. Great review, I have this one just not read yet. I loved the Wolves of Mercy Fall series. I enjoyed Lament but found Ballad really hard to get into and actually didnt read it all. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great honest review. I'm not sure about this book, I want to read it but not sure I'll like it. I will wait and see. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've read nothing but glowing reviews for this one, so yours was a refreshing change! :) Not sure if it's the book for me. I loved Shiver, didn't enjoy Linger much and haven't yet read Forever. I might get around to this at some point..!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review,maybe will read this

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a little sad you're not a huge fan, but I can totally see why it isn't your favourite of her books. I agree the basis for their relationship was fantastic-I'm a bit in love with sean. haha. It is my fave of her books and I totally agree it's beautifully written

    The Cait Files

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maggie's writing blows me away every time, but it wasn't on the same level as Shiver for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I haven't he read anything by this author but I have shiver on my tbr, I am unsure about this one but I do want to give it a go at some point, especially if I like shiver!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva