My Catchphrases

Wednesday 29 September 2010

Review: Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick

Synopsis: From Amazon

Nora should know better than to think her life can return to normal after falling in love with a fallen angel. And Nora's life isn't normal - her dad was murdered, and the facts about his death just don't add up. Now Nora's own life is in imminent danger. Are she and Patch strong enough for the battle ahead?




Review:
I actually enjoyed this book more than Hush, Hush although I liked the first book I wasn't overly animated by the characters. In Crescendo however, the insight into the characters personalities and interactions took the plot to another level. All the characters had strong personalities and were well rounded.

As I have come to expect from Hush, Hush there is a great deal of innuendo and double entendre used. I did giggle to myself at this and can complete relate it to the age group portrayed in the story.

Becca Fitzpatrick's writing is richly descriptive and dramatic making the imagery easy to conjure within the imagination. The tension woven into the narrative was nail biting from the beginning.

Tantalising plot teasers, along with a few red herrings, are placed throughout, really keeping the reader guessing as to which direction the storyline will take.

I really liked how Nora was portrayed as a 'normal' 16 year old girl coping with her first 'proper' relationship. The see-saw of emotions, along with the emotional immaturity most 16 year old have (although I am sure they will disagree). Sometimes Nora's reactions to situations were extreme; emphasizing her emotional immaturity. The reader is able to empathize to a certain degree, most importantly the reader is left with the thought that Nora's reactions are in a way her own way, attempts to try to make situations better, although this is not necessarily what occurs.

Different aspects of the plot are shown in varying ways, the use of flashbacks and recaps providing a deeper understanding. Giving focus to aspects that may have otherwise been overlooked. One of these aspect that stood out for me; was the way in which different religions were portrayed to show how their belief systems parallel.

There are some shocking twists; one of which explained why there are some people you instinctively take a dislike to - this I found very interesting.

Crescendo really is the right title for this book; I could almost hear the cymbals crashing together as the full extent of the plot was revealed. There was a jaw-dropping cliffhanger of an ending. Although I had issues with the genealogy and blood lines depicted within the plot; I was able to ignore them due to Patch's of the charts sizzle factor *swoon*.

On the whole a great sequel that hooks the reader to the series.

4 comments:

  1. Great review! I ended up feeling a bit disappointed after all the hype for Hush, Hush so was a bit nervous about reading Crescendo - I'm looking forward to it now though :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fab review, and I totally agree! I was fully prepared to not enjoy this one as much as Hush, Hush but I liked it more too. And oh my gosh, the shocking twists!! I can't wait to see how *that* situation pans out in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am VERY jealous you have read Crescendo! This is gonna be a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didnt read the review because its on its way for me! Cant wait to read it though. Will update once Im done lol x

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva