My Catchphrases

Friday 14 January 2011

Review: The Crescent by Jordan Deen


Title: The Crescent
Series: The Crescent
Author: Jordan Deen
Publisher: Black Rose Writing
Publication Date: January 2010

Source: UK Book Tours




Synopsis: From GoodReads
Becoming a werewolf is not an option for seventeen-year-old Lacey Quinn, but death can be a strong motivator.   Lacey is so focused on her future that everyday life has passed her by. Counting down the days to her eighteenth birthday, Lacey is almost home free. But when she falls for the mysterious Alex Morris, she lands in the middle of an ancient war between two enemy wolf packs. Tempting dreams, tantalizing lies and a dangerous love triangle ensues leaving Lacey heartbroken and confused. Lacey's fate rests in the hands of Alex and Brandon, but both are pulling her strings for their own agendas. Even as she slips further into the dark world of werewolves, Lacey struggles to find the truth and save the only family she's ever know.

Review:
There were some were some weird observations and admissions right at the start making me a bit nervous about whether I was going to struggle with it or not. I needn't have worried [ : D ]

Written in first person narrative from Lacey's perspective. At 17 she is desperate to escape her current life, counting down the days until she goes away to college. She feels distant from her parents and with good reason - all will be revealed [ ; D ]

Jordan Deen has a wonderfully descriptive writing style, immersing my imagination into the story with three dimensional imagery. I loved the music references and could completely relate to the choice of music used. Plus the dream sequences were beautiful to envision. Lynsey from UK Book Tours did warn me that there were a lot of spelling/grammatical mistakes so I was prepared to put that aside in this instance.

Although the start did appear disjointed due to the large amount of plot threads they did tie together well. There is a great deal of action interspersed with small amounts of back story; personally I would have liked to have been given more of the history at the expense of some of the action, but that may just be me. A lot more details of the back story are revealed at the end, hooking me like a fish on the line for the next book.

There is a veritable smorgasbord of hot boys in this book; incorporating lots of sexual tension and chemistry. I have to say that I couldn't really understand the love triangle when to me it was obvious who the best choice was. At times I wanted to give Lacey a good shake, especially when she doesn't believe in her own intuition. I was literally shouting at the book 'Stop it Lacey - you are being annoying'.

Although I did find the twist obvious, remember I am good with twists, it didn't diminish it or distract from the story.

On the whole a promising start to a new series.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh I missed this one on the tour. I love the cover. Do enjoy a werewolf book. Just started reading Clare De Lune.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vivienne - how did you miss that cover :D Funny enough I just picked up Clare de Lune at the library. Enjoy

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva