My Catchphrases

Wednesday 24 August 2011

Review: Dark Flame by Alyson Noel

Title: Dark Flame
Series: The Immortals #4
Author: Alyson Noel
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Publication Date: 27 Sep 2010

Synopsis: From Amazon

Once it seemed being immortal was a gift to Ever Bloom - now it's a curse. And she's a danger to herself.
Ever has been dabbling in Magyck - seeking to explore her own powers, hoping to find a future for her relationship with Damen. But she's not in control - in fact, the magyck has bound her eternally to her immortal enemy, Roman. Whenever he's near, she feels his heartbeat, his breath, his blood racing in her veins. Ever is in deep - and the one person who might be able to help her must never find out what she's done . . .

Review:

This is the fourth book in The Immortals series so this review may contain spoilers for the previous books. you have been warned [ ; D ]

It has been a while since I read the 3rd book in the series as I saved the 4th and 5th books to read when I knew the date for the last in the series was going to be published so I wouldn't forget what was going on and could compulsively read one after the other. You don't believe me then how come I have Alyson Noel week [ : p ] One thing I would like to say before I get into the review is, I am really grateful that Alyson stated how many books were going to be in the series, that way you know that you are going to get resolution and like me you can save the books to read in succession. I do feel that some series goes on for far to long and resolution isn't achieved and readership drops away. What do you guys think?? Sorry for some randomness at the start of my review but it was on my mind.

As I said it has been a while since I read Shadowland but there are nice little recaps woven into the narrative that bring the storyline back to life, I think it is necessary to read this series in order otherwise you will miss a lot of the nuances of the plot and interaction of the characters that really add depth to the storyline. I had however, forgotten how annoying Ever can be.

Ever must be one of the most annoying protagonists well ever (no pun intended lol) yet without her stubbornness and ability to ignore any advice she is given, leading her to make the most glaring wrong decisions the story wouldn't work. I have to admit that one of the reasons I compulsively turn the pages is to find out if she actually does develop into a 'nice' person.

The research into the alternative therapies, positive thinking, crystals, herbs, Wicca is just fantastic. Having done a HND in Complimentary Therapies I know a little more than the 'average' person about these things and the grounding in all of these just blew me away. It makes me realise why I was drawn to it in the first place. Philosophy, karma and positive thinking is something we should try to incorporate more of in our daily lives.

There isn't so much as a love triangle in this book as a smorgasbord of hot boys options for Ever to pick all with there own particular charms that are missing in the others, or so Ever thinks. Although I have always been a Damen girl myself, I can really see Jude's charm and Roman's sex appeal, so I can't really blame Ever for her indecision. There are a number of plot twists with regard to Ever's relationships, misdirection is the name of the game but which direction is the right one.  
 
I have to mention the title of the book, Dark Flame, and how the wonderful metaphor of passion being a dark flame was depicted in the narrative. Imagine a flame burning inside you, how easily it consumes everything until nothing else matters but extinguishing that flame. You can identify with it can't you, I can (yes even at my age).

Despite or because of Ever, Alyson Noel's The Immortals bring out the best in me. They inspire positive thinking and a desire for good karma (yes,I know you think I am nuts now but they honestly do). For me I cannot think of higher praise to give this series than that - to be inspired to be a better person by reading these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva