I cannot tell you how much I love this guest post - go read it and you will see why:
- Library cards are a backstage pass to awesomeness! The first day I was let loose among the stacks, library card in tow, collecting piles of books I couldn’t wait to take home, was a moment I’ll never forget.
- Libraries are air-conditioned! Growing up in California in a house without air conditioning made the library a welcome reprieve from the blazing summer heat on days when running through the sprinklers just didn’t cut it.
- Libraries provide a safe and quiet place to hang out. As a kid, the library was the one place the gang of girls who bullied me could not penetrate (they didn’t read—go figure!) it provided safe haven and I relied on it heavily.
- Libraries build community! My local library provides talks, programs, classes, storytime for kids, and more—it’s a valuable asset I can’t imagine doing without.
- Libraries have librarians! Connecting books to readers is important work, and librarians rock that like nobody else!