My Catchphrases

Tuesday 6 July 2010

Review: Blood Feud by Alyxandra Harvey

Synopsis: From Amazon

It has been centuries since Isabeau St. Croix survived the French Revolution. Now she's made her way back to the living and must face the ultimate test by confronting the evil British lord who turned her into a vampire and left her buried for two hundred years. That's if she can control her affection for Logan Drake, a vampire whose bite is as sweet as the revenge she seeks...



Review:
Continuing The Drake Chronicles from where we left them at the end of My Love Lies Bleeding.  To be able to fully understand the intricacies of the plot and the character interactions it is necessary to have read MLLB.

Written in 1st person narrative but with alternating perspectives of Isabeau and Logan.

Isabeau, 18 part of the Hound tribe, left in a coffin for 2 centuries before being dug out by the hounds. The description of her nightmare about the time she was trapped inside the coffin actually made my skin crawl.

Logan, also 18, Solange's older brother by 2 years. He dresses from a by-gone age in frock coats and frilled shirts. Something that initially draws Isabeau to him as she can relate to that time period. He has an instant and powerful connection to Isabeau.

Lots of background details are provided but building on what has already transpired rather than retelling it. Flashback chapters telling Isabeaus history are interwoven in  the narrative, providing depth to her character. The depiction of the French Revolution and especially the Guillotine added dramatic realism to the story.

The previous protagonists in  MLLB take on a peripheral role within Blood Feud but their interactions are critical to the plot. The use of magic by The Hounds was a fabulous sensory addition to the story.

The intensity of the relationship between Isabeau and Logan brought to mind the question of soul mates and love at first sight or would it just be a vampire thing that they have intense emotions. I am a romantic at heart : D

The action is fast paced and dramatic with a bit of ironic humour thrown in. I did feel that the narrative had an underlying context in the form of racism. Showing how other vampires were prejudiced against The Hounds. While The Drakes were attempting to overcome this by getting everyone to work together towards a common goal.

I loved MLLB but I have to say the story and character development within Blood Feud has taken The Drake Chronicles to another level.

A terrific sequel leaving me wanting another fix of The Drake Chronicles quickly : D

The BookDepository

3 comments:

  1. I completely missed my chance at reading My Love Lies Bleeding while it was free as an ebook :( I'm a little sad about that. I've heard good things about the series..

    (also, now your blog is fine, I can see two different shades of purple, whereas on the laptop all I can see is the entire screen the one shade of dark purple! Must be the different browsers!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good news! I loved MLLB but was concerned that book two concentrated on different characters, having really enjoyed Nicholas and Lucy in book one. Your great review has totally put my mind at rest and I shall have to order this one shortly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed My Love Lies Bleeding (and really, how great is that title? Much better than the US one IMO) but I haven't read Blood Feid yet.

    Glad to see Blood Feud gets a great review from you, and I hope I get my hands on it soon. :D

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva