My Catchphrases

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Review: My So-Called Haunting by Tamsyn Murray


Title: My So-Called Haunting
Series: Afterlife
Author: Tamsyn Murray
Publisher: Piccadilly
Publication Date: 24 Sep 2010


UK Author


Synopsis: From Amazon


Skye, a fourteen-year-old who can see ghosts, is very stressed. Not only is the ghost of a sixteenth-century witch giving her fashion tips, but she's struggling to settle into life with her aunt, and is developing a crush on the most unattainable boy in the school, Nico. When her aunt asks her for help with a troubled teen ghost called Dontay, she's glad of the distraction. But then Nico starts paying her attention, and she's soon facing a battle to keep her love life and her psychic life separate. As things get ever more complicated, it looks as though Dontay's past might cost Skye her future.

Review:

The dramatic first line instantly drew me into the story.


Written in first person narrative from Skye’s point of view. At 15/16 she is small for her age, something she constantly mentions; I did feel perhaps Skye had a bit of a complex about her height. For the most part I think being petite generally aids girls/women as people want to protect them. Skye was born with psychic ability she deals with it very well and is lucky to have her Aunt Celeste for guidance.


It was so nice to see Celeste and Jeremy’s characters progress from My So-Called Afterlife . A great piece of character and relationship development on behalf of Tamsyn Murray.


Although I liked Skye I can’t say I fully connected with her. A myriad of unfortunate incidents add to the plot. The description of Nico and the Romanian Gypsy connection to psychics gave a multi-layered storyline. Not at all what I was expecting and the dramatic direction the action undertook was simply sensational.


I adore Tamsyn’s writing style which seems naturally humorous on a personal level beyond just subjective reading – if that makes any sense at all. Very easy to relate to, each reader will take something different away with them. Some serious and topical issues are woven into the story, including gang culture, gun crime, suicide, death and bereavement. I know you are wondering how books containing these elements can be funny. It is difficult for me to explain but thanks to Tamsyn’s writing style these subjects are tackled with sensitivity and humor while making you think about the consequences. I am obviously not be very articulate in my explanation SORRY. A mixed bag of a plot that blends surprisingly well together.


I haven’t gone into detail about the other characters in the book especially Dontay as the plot really revolves around him and I don’t want to spoil it for you. Just remember looks can be deceiving [ ; D ]


There are a number of plot threads left open involving other characters such as Mary (the resident poltergeist) and Nico (the love interest). I think these are the main characters in the next book My So-Called Phantom Love Life, at least I hope so as I would love to know more about these characters. I am so glad it is on my shelf waiting for me.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review. I'm not sure about this one. Think I might give it a miss. But it's good to hear what it's about and like. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. My So Called Haunting sounds brilliant. Definitely one I would read. (If my TBR pile ever got smaller.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay, I'm glad you liked it - I love Tamsyn's writing :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to read this series! I haven't got round to it yet but after seeing great reviews like this one I really must!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Use Your Imagination Designs all images form the Very Own World kit by Irene Alexeeva